Hickory Golf Supplies stock a comprehensive range of Tom Stewart Hickory Golf Clubs which are available for shipping worldwide. Born in St Andrews in 1862 Tom Stewart made irons with his own name on them and, indeed, for most of the top makers and players of his time (Auchterlonie, Robert T Jones, Harry Vardon etc.) Stewart was one of the most respected club makers in Scotland and his early irons were used by Old Tom Morris himself. He served an apprenticeship with Robert White and started in business on his own in the mid-1890s in Market Street, St Andrews. For quite some time irons were forged in The Pends then taken across to Market Street for finishing. St Andrews is not huge but that could not continue as the business expanded so he took premises in Greyfriars Gardens before moving to the address in Argyle Street where the business remained until his death and beyond.
The Tom Stewart makers mark was a clay pipe but you will also see a stylised spider-like star on heads which he himself rejected on grounds of quality but sold on to other makers. In 1905 he registered the pipe mark as a trademark and post-1905 clubs contain this trademark information below the pipe. In addition to his clubs, his patented iron hole liners and cups were used on the Old Course at St Andrews. He retired around 1930, his business carried on by his sons, Thomas, John and Malcolm and he died in 1931. His obituary in the Dundee evening paper claims he was the first man to make a matched set of clubs.
Showing all 7 results